Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's a Freudian slip?

It's when you say one thing, but you mean your mother. And today, I'm experiencing a lack of frustration. Wait. Stop. Strike that. A lack. Of. Motivation. And that makes me frustrated. There it is.
 PS
So I've thought about WHY it is, exactly, that I've struggled so much over the past two or three weeks, so I developed a plan of action. I'm very, very goal-oriented, and I've heard so many times that it takes somewhere between 20 and 25 days to develop a habit, so I'm giving myself 25 days on the calendar (starting tomorrow) before I re-assess my training plan. 

For now, my goal is to run five days a week (Tuesday through Friday, and a long run on Sunday), averaging at least 20 miles per week, but increasing until my ultimate goal of at least 30 miles per week, for a total of 1,000 miles this year. So far, I'm not too far behind; it's still an achievable goal, for sure. I just have to keep at it.

I'm goal oriented, too, so I had to go think up a "prize" for myself, and it's a GREAT prize (for me, anyway): If I run at least five times per week for the next 25 days, my reward is...

REGISTERING FOR A SECOND HALF MARATHON THIS FALL!

It's a fitting reward, no? It isn't a food thing (because, while motivating, can kind of defeat the purpose); it isn't a "buy" thing (I have too much stuff as it is, and I don't really want to spend a lot of money for stuff I don't need); it's perfect. Earn a good time. Sounds great to me!

Now, to find out WHICH Fall half marathon! 
Any suggestions in the Central California area?

PS - Living in Central California has a lot of benefits: the ever-changing agricultural scenery, the small town, everyone-knows-everyone feel, the fact that you can drive two or three hours in ANY direction in order to find yourself in another place entirely: Coast! Mountains! Desert! City! Bay Area! The bad thing, though: it's super hot, and it stinks almost constantly, and there's not much to do here, at least in the immediate vicinity, besides spending money in one way or another.